As a new business owner I often find myself grappling with balance. I have a family, exciting business demands, and of course myself to take care of. I don’t know about you, but business and family take precedence for me at the cost of self-sanity.
Those who say that you will never work harder than when you start your own business speak the truth. For me, the pros outweigh the cons.
- For the first time in my life, I LOVE what I do.
- I am responsible for all business activities/results, good and bad.
- I can work in my pajamas.
- Start time and end time? That’s up to me.
- I learn something new every day whether it be in the area of social media, PR or entrepreneurship.
But there are a few cons:
- Start time and end time? That’s up to me. And since I have a Blackberry, there is no end time.
- I can work in my pajamas, and therefore sometimes I DO.
- I need to learn better work/life balance.
But there are 6 major areas of life that I need to take better care of- even as a new business owner. They include: Family, Career, Mental, Physical, Social, and Spiritual. How many of these life areas are YOU taking care of?
I have been taking stock these past few weeks, and while career certainly gets the most attention from me, I am putting the emphasis back on family and physical needs, too. I make time after work (even if there is more to do later) to hang out with my daughter. I also take time out each week to go to the gym and release stress. I realize, the more balanced I am, the better businessperson and mother I become.
For me, I schedule my self-care. In this social world it’s easy to get tied up on the computer or taking care of one area of your life without regard for the others. I am hopeful that by the end of 2009, I will be taking care of all areas in my life.
I’m interested: How do you achieve work/life balance? What areas are most important to you? And finally, how has this made you a better business owner and/or employee?